Hard training can lead to tight hips.
Spend the day sitting, and the problem quickly becomes worse.
Enter the “Couch Stretch”.
Dr. Kelly Starrett invented – or at least recently popularized – this awesome move.
It’s one of the best stretches for tight hips.
And maybe the best part – you can get it done while you’re watching your favorite TV show!
THE COUCH STRETCH
- Start by standing in front of a couch
- Put your back knee on the couch and keep your front leg on the ground
- Put your back foot up against the back of the couch
- Point the back toe
- Squeeze your glutes, and the glute of the up leg in particular, to stabilize your lower back and correctly position the hip joint
- With the butt squeezed, dril the front of the hip towards the ground
- Work on this daily for at least 2 minutes per side
Try doing the Couch Stretch daily for a week – two minutes each leg, each day – and pay attention to the change you can create.
- Forest Vance
Master of Science, Human Movement
Certified Corrective Exercise Specialist
PS - For tight hips, I also recommend you check out this routine:
It outlines a complete program you can incorporate into your fitness plan to loosen up your hips, reduce pain, and get you moving better.