Frequently, folks email in asking what I do for a workout on a typical day.
So, thought I’d share with you my overall workout “template” – in case you have similar goals, and want to model it.
My current goals are:
– keep the aches and pains at bay
– gain strength and lean muscle
– if needed, be ready at any given time to take on a variety of physical challenges – these days, I don’t need to specialize and be an awesome strength athlete, but I want to be able to say run a 5k, or play pick-up basketball for 45 mins, do 10 pull ups, do a pistol squat, press a half-body weight kettlebell over head, bench press 1.5x my body weight, snatch a 24k KB 100 times in 5 mins, etc.
With that in mind, here is what I’m doing for my workouts currently:
– I do flexiblity and mobility work EVERY day – first thing in the AM when I wake up for 5-10 mins, and for 5-10 mins before every workout
– I do 3-4 days a week of work right now of barbell work, rotating between the “big” lifts each strength day (military press, deadlift, bench press, back squat)
– On the military press and bench press days, I do some extra upper body work – like chins, push ups, direct arm work, etc.
– On the deadlift and squat days, I do some kind of “finisher” (like I’ll show you here in just a sec) – this could be with kettlebells, body weight, whatever
– And on two or three other days I’ll do some kind of conditioning – getting outside is awesome, so try to do that – typically sprints or riding my bike
Cool thing is, this works great because it is regimented and planned, but also allows for some flexibility.
I get my strength work – which NEEDS to be planned over time to get the best results – but I can also “plug in” workouts as “finishers”, and on conditioning days, from different and new programs, and still keep the workouts interesting.
Here is the workout I did yesterday. Started with deadlifts, and finished with a double kettlebell complex from a new program I am loving, Lift Weights Faster:
1 – Warm Up (30 sec ea, 2x thru the circuit)
12 body weight squats
6 push ups with rotation
15 jumping jacks
10 leg swings each leg
2 – Strength work
trap bar deadlift – 4×5, work up to 295 on last set
walking lunge, body weight only, 3×8 each leg
3 – Double KB Complex (from the Lift Weights Faster program)
KB suitcase dead 5
double KB swing 5
double KB clean 5
double KB front squat 5
double KB push press 5
Five rounds of this complex, set KB down and rest about 30 seconds between rounds
So, there is my workout template. It works great to keep me strong, keep the aches and pains at bay, and maintain a decent level of overall fitness at the same time.
Feel free to model and use it to plan your own workouts.
Train hard, and talk soon -
PS - I mentioned above, the finisher there was from my friend Jen Sinkler’s Lift Weights Faster program … this is a new resource I got that I am LOVING. She’s put together a 129 more workouts like the one above into giant resource to keep you going for a LONG time to come. There is a HUGE variety of stuff in there, using every equipment type you could imagine.
And, she agreed to do a special “friends of Forest” sale on it for a short time. Get more details and grab your copy here:
PPS - I posted several articles/videos from Jen earlier this week – if you missed any of those, check them out at the links below: