As I mentioned in a recent article, the popularity of the low carb diet has diminished over the last few years, with a new and more balanced way of eating talking its place …
Slow carb is the low carb diet’s latest evolution.
If you missed it, make sure to check out this article on the basics of slow carb dieting with some sample recipes … today’s post is going to expand on the original idea and provide you with a slow carb list of foods … this way, you’ll understand what kind of carbohydrate foods fit into your diet on a regular and long-term basis.
Slow Carb Eating Review
Carbohydrates are a very important part of a healthy diet to 1) provide the brain with sufficient glucose to function and 2) to provide energy for muscular work. It’s the type of carbohydrates we’re consuming that we need to pay attention to (which, BTW, is the concept behind this popular fat loss meal plan).
The list of “allowed” carbohydrates in the slow carb regime is pretty straight-forward: You eat 1) legumes or 2) veggies.
Slow Carb List
Again, it’s a pretty simple approach – each meal includes a lean protein, a source of “good” fat, and a carbohydrate type from either one (or both) of these categories:
- Legumes (such as black beans, lima beans, kidney beans, or white beans)
- Veggies (like broccoli, eggplant, spinach, or squash)
Bonus (recipe ideas)
To give you some additional ideas to work with in formulating your eating plan, here are some bonus slow carb recipes we found around the ‘net:
- Raspberry & Spinach Salad: http://paleodietlifestyle.com/raspberry-and-spinach-salad/
- Diced Chicken (video): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_QPmAcxl9E
- Lettuce Wraps: http://www.health-bent.com/proteins/lettuce-wraps
- Apple Glazed Turkey Breast: http://www.paleoplan.com/2009/12-03/apple-glazed-turkey-breast/
- Portobello Sandwich: http://www.paleoplan.com/2010/01-04/portobello-sandwiches/
- Turkey Burger: http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=1075684
- Diet Orange Chicken: http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=961469 (not sure how healthy the soda is, but it’s interesting, never seen used that way before..)
- Eggs w/avocado & Salsa: http://www.paleoplan.com/2009/12-02/eggs-with-salsa/
- Pepper Steak: http://www.paleoplan.com/2010/01-03/pepper-steak/
- Crusty Chicken: http://www.paleoplan.com/2010/01-04/crusty-chicken/
So – over the last two blog posts, I’ve outlined a complete slow carb eating plan for fat loss.
You have everything you need to get started – so no excuses 🙂 Start working towards those fat loss goals and I look forward to your success story!
Forest Vance, MS, CPT, RKC II
PS – Changing my eating (and the diet I followed was essentially “slow carb”) was the biggest factor in my personal fat loss success. And if I can do it, anyone can – click here to read the full story.